Saturday, June 11, 2011

9. Bake Skyler an awesome Birthday Cake

My friend Meg makes the coolest birthday cakes for her kids, and she was my inspiration in every way for this goal. (Before her, I never had any interest in creating a fun cake. But her kids' cakes are always so fabulous, that I really wanted to give it a shot. )

My initial idea was a crayola box, but after several hours of working with the buttercream and decorating the cake, I opted for an easier design. (I have to give Meg credit here again.) I made a Play Doh cake! (Which also happens to be Skyler's favorite creative toy of the moment.

The cake as a delicious recipe (posted below) as was the butter cream frosting. After some coloring issues, my sister stepped in to help me make some fondant (Marshmallow) which was actually fairly yummy and looked FABULOUS!

My only negative comment about the cake was that the piping letters weren't very neat. But, we were running late, the icing was stiff and I was nervous. (And? My handwriting just isn't that neat anyway. *lol* )





Recipes:
Cake
Ingredients
  • 1 Duncan Hines Yellow (or White) cake mix
    4 egg whites
    1/2 cup water
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    1 small pkg of instant vanilla pudding mix (I use white chocolate flavour instead)
    1 cup sour cream
Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 F, Incorporate all ingredients together one by one on low speed. Make sure to mix thoroughly between each ingredient. Once all ingredients are mixed turn mixer to medium and mix for approximately 2 minutes. Bake at 350 for 30 – 35 minutes


Butter Cream

* 2 cups butter
* 8 cups confectioners’ sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 6 fluid ounces International Delight French Vanilla Coffee Creamer
Instructions

  1. 1. Cream butter until fluffy. Add confectioner’s sugar and continue creaming until well blended.
    2. Add salt and creamer, blend on low speed until moistened. Add additional creamer if necessary (up to 2 ounces). Beat at high speed until frosting is fluffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment