Thursday, July 14, 2011

86. Write a review for 5 books (either on B&N.com or Amazon.com) :: Room

I am a book nerd. At this point (July 14) I have read 54 books in 2011, and it's rare to find a book that I don't like. So for my 101 in 1001 I thought it would be fun to review a few books! So I posted the following on both Amazon.com and BarnesandNoble.com as well as Good Reads. 

HERE is my review at B&N!!




I was anxious to read "Room" having heard so many wonderful reviews. Everyone I talk to seems to have loved this book.

I struggled to read from the beginning. Maybe it was the broken language of a five year old, maybe it was the repetitive nature. Whatever it was? It was slow. (I typically read a book in 2 days, but this took me an entire week.)

I didn't feel that there was any real climax to this book, sure it picked up when Jack made his great escape. But it never really grabbed me the way many books do.

I couldn't stand Ma's family. I tried and tried to put myself in their place, which is normally pretty easy with a book. But these characters were just so unlikable that I couldn't manage it. I liked Ma in room; and I can't begin to imagine her trauma, but I just had a difficult time sympathizing with her once they'd escaped.

Overall, I didn't love the book. It was just sort of ok, and I definitely would not recommend it to my friends and family.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sad to hear you wouldn't recommend this book. I think it kind of sounds like something I'd like, but if it's slow to get into I'm afraid I'd never finish it. If something doesn't grasp my attention I can't continue. I have major ADD when it comes to books and movies I've discovered.

    ReplyDelete