Friday, May 27, 2011

3. Try 30 New Recipes :: Stromboli (or Calzones)

I love being in the kitchen, cooking or baking. It's a definite stress relief for me; and it's fun to have something new to try! So for 101, my #3 is to try 30 new recipes. Tonight, I took it a step further and sort of created my own! Stromboli!

First up? Pizza Dough! Use your own recipe; mine is a revised version from the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook (Eveyrone has one! ) and I double the sugar, and a few minor changes to yeast and water thanks to altitudes.



Split your batch of dough (one batch makes two stromboli's for me, and Sky can eat a half, I ate a whole and was full.) And roll it into squares, get it as large as you can without ripping.

Then I brush with Olive Oil and flip over (so that the whole outside will be well coated.)

Next up? Toppings! (Or is it Stuffing?)



Tonight I went easy... Just pasta sauce, pepperoni and cheese.

For the sauce? I used left over from our spaghetti last week. It was Mr. C's from Nebraska (Thanks Dad!!) Although I think normally I'd just use my regular homemade marinara. The spaghetti sauce was a bit too sweet for this.

Also, next time I plan on making a veggie one for myself! Peppers, Onions... all the yummy veggies from a pizza! But I was lazy tonight.

I layered, sauce, meat, cheese, sauce, meat, cheese.



Close them like a clam, and be sure to crimp the ends. (I didn't roll my dough out flat enough, so I had a bit of a struggle with this and they weren't as pretty as I'd like! )



Sprinkle seasonings on top. (I did a mixture of McCormick's Italian Seasoning and Parm Cheese!)

Place in the Oven (425*) for 13 - 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment